- .the clarus edge
Clarus Poll: Favorite Christmas Songs
“SILENT NIGHT” PICKED AS FAVORITE CHRISTMAS SONG
The American people have spoken––and the nation’s favorite Christmas song is… Silent Night!
That’s what a new Clarus Poll found in a new nationwide survey.
Following Silent Night in popularity is White Christmas in second place, Little Drummer Boy in third place, and The Christmas Song, also known as “the Chestnuts roasting on an open fire” song, in fourth place. Other songs scored in single digits.
- Republicans were more likely than Democrats to say Silent Night (48% vs. 30%) and Little Drummer Boy (17% vs. 12%). But Democrats were more likely to say The Christmas Song (also known as “Chestnuts roasting on an open fire”) than did Republicans (13% vs. 5%).
- Women like Silent Night more than do men; 41% of women chose Silent Night versus 33% of men.
- Twice as many men selected Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer than women (6% vs. 3%).
- People 45 years old and older were more likely to pick White Christmas as their favorite song than were people under than 45 (20% vs. 16%). Younger people were more likely to favor Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer than older people, 9% vs. 3%.
The poll, conducted by Clarus Research Group, a nonpartisan Washington, D.C.-based survey company, was based on a scientifically-selected sample of 1,100 U.S. adults nationwide. The poll was conducted Dec. 5-7, 2012, by live telephone interviewers, landline and cell. Margin of error is 2.95 percent.
QUESTION ASKED AND TOPLINE RESULTS:
I am now going to read you a number of Christmas song titles. Please tell me which one is your favorite.
- Silent Night 37%
- White Christmas 19%
- Little Drummer Boy 13%
- The Christmas Song--also known as "chestnuts roasting on an open fire" song 10%
- Rudolph, The Red Nosed Reindeer 5%
- Feliz Navidad 5%
- Jingle Bells 4%
- Santa Claus is Coming To Town 2%
- Volunteered another song 2%
- Don't know/no answer 3%